Tips for Online Relationships
In today's world, it seems that people have a harder time finding relationships (or making them work) than they used to. Could it be because more people come from divorced families than in the past? Nobody can say for sure. But with the advent of the Internet, more and more people are turning to online dating, and thus starting online relationships.
Being in an online relationship can be fun at first, and many people have had great success. Some online relationships have even lead to marriage. You probably know at least one married couple who met online, whether you know it or not. If you don't, chances are you'll meet someone whose marriage started with online dating. But not all online relationships are that successful. People in online relationships (particularly when they haven't met yet) tend to let go of their inhibitions a little more. Before you know it, you've built up a lot of trust. Eventually, the two of you will agree to meet in person. But no matter how much you think you can trust that person, keep these things in mind:
- Don't give that person your address or home phone number until you've met in person more than two or three times and you know you can trust them
- Agree to meet somewhere, and make sure it's a very public place
- Let a trusted friend or family member know where you're going and what you'll be doing
- Bring a fully charged cell phone in case of emergency
We're not trying to scare you. You should enjoy your date, but remember--many times people aren't honest in online relationships. And some people in virtual relationships are really predators. It might even be a good idea to do a background check on someone before you agree to meet them in person, just to be a little more sure about who you're dealing with. Better to be safe than sorry!
- Open Directory - Society: Relationships: Cyberrelationships
- Psychology of Cyberspace - Hypotheses about Online Text Relationships
- Online Relationships
- HumanMetrics - online relationships, personality and entrepreneur ...
- OutProud - Watching Out for Yourself in Online Relationships
All material copyright © 2006 Dating Dilemma. All rights reserved.